Resources: Recent updates
Filing with an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)? You may be eligible for the Golden State Stimulus
California is helping families that faced economic hardship due to COVID-19 through the Golden State Stimulus. This one time funding of up to $1,200 is available to those who are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit or those with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) if they earn less than $75,000.
With the new filing deadline moving to May 17th families now have an additional month to file their taxes and take advantage of this one time opportunity. The Golden State Stimulus is designed to help ITIN holders who earn less than $75,000 a year.
How do you qualify for the CalEITC?
ITIN holders now qualify for both the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) and the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC). This helps reduce the amount of taxes owed and increases the total refund- potentially putting thousands back in your pocket. CalETIC eligible families can earn $600 through the Golden State Stimulus. To qualify you must:
- Have taxable earned income up to $30,000
- Not use “married/RDP filing separately” if married or RDP
- Live in California for more than half the 2020 tax year
- Have a child under 6 years old (Only for Young Child Tax Credit)
What if I file with an ITIN number?
ITIN holders are eligible to receive up to $1,200 through the Golden State Stimulus. To qualify for the $1,200 you must:
- Have filed your 2020 taxes by October 15, 2021
- Be either:
- A CalEITC recipient
- An ITIN filer who made $75,000 or less (total CA AGI)
- Live in California for more than half of the 2020 tax year
- Be a California resident (for tax purposes) on the date payment is issued
- Not be eligible to be claimed as a dependent
How and when will I receive my Golden State Stimulus?
CalEITC eligible families who file with a SSN will receive a one time payment of $600 through the Golden State Stimulus. Those who make less than $75,000 and file with an ITIN can earn $1,200. See chart below for more information.
The Golden State Stimulus will arrive separately from your standard tax return and will be dispersed 45 days with direct deposit and 60 days by check in the mail. Those that haven’t received their Golden State Stimulus in the timeframe listed above can contact the Franchise Tax Board at (800) 852-5711. Due to increased call volume there may be long wait times.